Friday, August 22, 2008

Weekly Report - 5

What happened to week 4?  It was a truly awful week.  Kaden and Chloe really struggled with their attitudes and each day was so distressing.  I thought we would probably be better off finding them a school.  That led to lots of stress, seeing as school would begin in just a week.  So, what to do?  I read Boundaries with Kids for the third time.  I took a real good look at the ways I enable my kids.  I determined to put some boundaries in place.  This was a much better week, but I have a ways to go.  They are all such good kids and they respond well to boundaries.  They don't respond well to Mom-the over-indulgent, self-sacrificing, emotional mess!

This week was better.  We didn't get as much school work done.  I had to spend more time staying on top of their work habits and being in charge.  This week was exhausting, but I am making progress and I see it in their attitudes and in their work.  They even play better together.  I'm glad I didn't bail for the nearest school!

ART
I feel like a dunce, but I just don't get Drawing with Children.  It's just not my thing.  Maybe next year we can find some drawing classes.  I think I'm going to try to buy Atelier level one. The lessons are on DVD, so hopefully it will get done even when I am clueless!

MATH
Kaden finished chapter 5 of BJU2 and Chloe finished chapter 4 of BJU1.  They are moving along nicely.  We finished early this week and have enjoyed some word problem pages and fact sheets instead of Flashmaster.  BJU really stresses number families and I think Kaden is finally seeing how they are helpful for subtraction.  He is improving quickly and doesn't give me any attitude about it.

SCIENCE
We read a few more books about digestion and the nervous system.  I ordered the rest of our science books for the fall semester, so next week we will study seasons and then weather.  They are looking forward to that!

HISTORY
We read through SOTW2 chapter 3 about Christianity coming to Britain and the conversion of the Anglo-Saxon pagans, monks and monasteries, and illumination.  We also read:
Caedmon's Song by Ashby
Marguerite Makes a Book by Robertson
Illuminations by Hunt

We finished The Willoughby's and started The Stray by Dick King-Smith.  It is a wonderful story as well.  Chloe read Mercy Watson and the Princess Disguise and fell in love with that series.  I don't know how to keep on top of Kaden's reading list!  He finishes a book or more everyday!  We read a lot of picture books but my favorites this last week were:  Brave Margaret by San Souci and O'Sullivan Stew by Talbott.

We made it to the gym twice this week, but I think it will be easier to go next week, local schools will be back in session!



No comments: