Monday, March 1, 2010

February Books

These were the books I bought for February. It was a good thing that we had something to read, because there wasn't much chance to go outside. Unless you count shoveling snow and searching for lost gloves and boots in the snow banks. So here's my rundown:

The Power of a Positive Mom.... I haven't read it yet. I probably won't. Isn't that awful. I just don't care for self-help books. I should probably keep it in the car to scan through when I'm stuck waiting. I'm sure there are good things to glean from it...

The 13th Reality is a series I'm pre-reading for the kids. It was pretty good. I read The Lightning Thief as well, hoping that Kaden could tackle it before he sees the movie, but that one can definitely wait a few years.

When You Reach Me was excellent. Definitely for the teen years, not middle school, but I'm glad it's waiting on the shelves. In the ranks of The Wednesday Wars and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

The Hobbit... incredible. I'm going to get the audio version for our next road trip. I can't believe I never read this! The writing is musical and evocative. Definitely a book better savored aloud.

Catching Fire is the sequel to The Hunger Games. I am looking forward to reading the conclusion due out in August.

Dandelion Fire... I haven't read it because Kaden snatched it away before I could get to it. He couldn't wait for me to finish reading the first book, 100 Cupboards, so he finished the last 100 pages of that himself and is already 200 pages into Dandelion Fire. I have forbidden him to speak of it until I've read it!

Dissolution was excellent. I like the time period and the hunchback lawyer/detective. A great mystery. I'll look for more of Sansom's books.

I love Jasper Fford's writing. I'm looking forward to finishing Shades of Grey, but I can't read it quickly, the writing is just too fun to rush through! It might seem a strange book on it's own, but I loved the Thursday series and I'm glad he has another series in the works!

I also read Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood from the library. I'm glad I didn't waste money on it. I just don't care for Atwood. Her stories are interesting, but it's all the other stuff she crams in them. In my opinion, they distract from the story and leave the characters one-dimensional and superficial. I don't know why I keep bothering to read her books.

So, that was my busy reading month. I'm looking forward to reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy this spring and I have about 70 books on my Amazon wishlist! Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

TomboCheck said...

sounds like a good mix! I can't believe you hadn't read the Hobbit, or the LOTR trilogy! I thought that was required for teenage years! :)