Monday, January 25, 2010

January Books

These are the books I finished this month. They were all good reads. The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games are both Young Adult Fiction. I started reading YA fiction last year so that I could build a library of books that were appropriate for my kids to read as they got older. I remember as a young teen reading a lot of books off my parents shelves that were way too mature, way to horrifying for my age: Steven King, Flowers in the Attic, Clan of the Cavebears. I am careful to select inspiring picture books for my littles and I've been pretty selective about the kid's chapter books, so I figured I better get a pretty good head start on YA, I remember how much I loved to read as a teen. Anyway, I found that I really enjoy a lot of YA Fiction! Our shelves are filling up nicely. Maze Runner and Hunger Games are both the beginning of series. They were great reads, I hope their sequels are as compelling. The Illuminator is historical fiction, another favorite genre of mine. It was well-written, but about half-way through, I wondered how the author would be able to end it happily. The author, however, wasn't concerned about that at all. While I really love a happy ending, I suppose this ending was much more realistic. Sigh. Water for Elephants has been on my wishlist for a long while. I'm so glad that I finally read it. An amazing book. Not one to miss.
In February, I am planning to read The Hobbit. I've never read any of the Lord of the Rings books or seen the movies. I don't know if these qualify as classics, but they are on my list of popular books I've never opened, that's reason enough for me.

No comments: